Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, August 02, 2016

    Perfect Chicken Stock and What to do with It

    Before Google, when I needed hints on cooking… of course, I used to spend hours, hunting through my lovely cookbooks
    I’m sorry to say now… I pop onto one of my devices and put in 2-3 relevant words and up come so many choices,...Meanwhile the lovely Cookbooks just sit there on my bookshelves.
    They may not get the attention they deserve but I do still love seeing them there
    Good if there is a power cut?

    So I wanted to make some beautiful Chicken Stock.
    The grandchildren were coming over to make homemade pasta

    Ravioli, I thought. Looking back through my blog, I picked up some ideas that I had posted earlier

    One of the sauces I made was using chicken stock, butter and sage leaves
    So not just any old chicken stock, thank you, but some clear, almost consommé… the only way to go
    To do that of course, that means clarifying the stock
    So off the Web I went, and I found this simple way on this Better Homes and Gardens site


    First make the stock, I bought chicken nibbles, lots of bones to get some good flavour
    So place the chicken nibbles or chicken carcasses, what ever you are using into a roasting pan,
    1 large onion peeled and cut into quarters
    1 large carrot rough chopped
    Couple of stalks of celery, roughly chopped
    I tossed them in a couple of tablespoons of Vegeta Chicken Stock and couple of tablespoons of olive oil

    Into 180C oven and roast about 20-30 minutes till golden

    Then transfer to a big pot
    Cover with water and simmer for about 45 minutes
    Strain through a lined sieve
    After it is strained I removed the meat off those bones and it made a wonderful filling for some yummy sandwiches
    Just mix with some Mayo, Season with Salt and pepper, A chopped gherkin and sometimes, celery for the crunch
    A little of the Gherkin liquor for a little extra flavour
    How to Clarify the Stock in 4 Easy Steps
    To clarify stock, first strain stock by ladling it through a colander or sieve lined with 1 or 2 layers of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth, (I used a chux cloth)
    Discard bones, vegetables

    Separate an egg (discard the yolk or save for another use).
    In a small bowl, combine the egg white and 1/4 cup cold water.

    Stir the mixture into the hot, strained stock. Bring to boiling.
    Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
    (As the egg white cooks, it will coagulate and trap fine particles from the stock.)
    This is called a Raft
    Place a large sieve or colander lined with damp paper towels over a large bowl.
    Pour the stock through the paper towels to strain out the particles and egg white
     I wasn't totally satisfied with that, so I repeated the clarifying
    Ah that looks better
    If you don't want a brown stock don’t roast the chicken and vegetables,
    just sauté gently in some olive oil, just to get that flavour moving.
    Cover with water, season with S & P and simmer for 30-45 minutes

    In fact, I needed another poached chicken breast, so I made some more stock
    After the chicken was cooked, I added some bones from 2 chicken carcasses
    Followed the Clarifying process as above
    How about this for clear stock
    All set for the freezer
     The children did a wonderful job on the Ravioli
    Click here to see how to make the pasta






    We made a simple filling
    A gently sautéed chopped leek, in olive oil
    Some soft goats cheese
    A really good grate of Pecorino cheese
    The zest of a lemon
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Taste and if you feel the need perhaps a pinch of sea salt
    Don’t forget the Pecorino and goats cheese are quite salty
    For the Sauce
    1 cup Chicken Stock, Homemade if possible
    6 sage leaves
    2 tablespoons butter
    Salt and pepper
    Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer
    Add ravioli
    I am so thrilled my kids have sophistcated tastes
    They loved these Ravioli

    No comments: